Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Miss Universe

"Imagine if you go there to see Miss Universe and you end up having Miss Iowa, you might get those kind of boos. But it's OK," he said. "They had to understand that as an organization we have to make sure the kid is fine."

The quote above came from tonights emergency starter for the Washington Nationals, Miguel Batista, or Miss Iowa, I guess. Batista pitched tonight because rookie "phenom," Stephen Stasburg, Miss Universe, had inflammation in his pitching shoulder.

Now, it is easy to understand what Batista meant, and it is even easy enough to see how maybe you could use this as a good comparison, sort of, but my question is why on earth did he pick poor Miss Iowa, and more importantly how must she be feeling right now.

Maybe I am wrong, and maybe nobody will be offended, but I will be very surprised if that is the case. How about saying it would be like coming to see the President of the United States and you end up seeing the Mayor of DC. After all, they are the Washington Nationals, and they do play in Nationals Stadium, and call it a hunch, but I have to believe it would be hard to offend almost anyone if you compared seeing them to seeing the President, but Miss Iowa??

This one just struck me as funny and felt I had to share!!

Thank you ESPN for spurring today's sports thought!!

No comments:

Post a Comment